The multi-cattle project wants to provide homes with one or two cows each. The households can then graze it, milk it, use and process the milk for various and in the end eat it in case of any food loss.
The problem we aim to solve
A lot of people in countries like Uganda die of hunger. However the cow could provide them with milk which they could use to ferment ghee which is a local product which doesn’t even require much money or even no money to make or manufacture. Here in Africa, ghee can basically be used as Vaseline for some cultures like the Bahima. I chose this because everyone knows how to make fire and can roast meat (beef) to work against hunger. Some people can use milk for drinking.
The picture I carry for this solution is for the multi-cattle project to work properly or efficient. It would be better if each family is provided with two cows, that is, male and female. In a long run, these will mate and start multiplying in number giving birth to other cattle. With the multiplication, food would be present, that is, the beef which they can roast and consume. There will also be milk which they can drink when thirsty. I choose this project focusing on the nature. In this world, there are dams, rivers, seas, lakes etc. and free grass. Animals could be fed on that for survival. The project could even facilitate the feeding of the animals to keep them healthy. As I said, in some countries there are different tribes where by in Africa we have Karamojong who fed feed even on blood which they get from the animals. So I strongly support my idea. It could really work to fight hunger. Let us look back on street kids. Some run from home because of hunger. But if they have a cow at home, they would expect food. No need to go out and beg. They will put all there effort on their animals to make sure their healthy because it’s all they have and its supporting their well-being.
The innovativeness of our approach
This project is innovative in a way that the beef produced by the animal could be sold and get money. The milk produced by the animals is used by people to make porridge or tea. The milk could also be used to make powdered milk which people could buy for their children. The milk can also be used to make ghee which some traditions use as Vaseline and others use it as cooking oil. The hides and skins got from the animals can be used to make clothes and shoes and many more things. The horns can be used to make spears for hunting, making utensils, etc.
Technologies and Methods
- Technologies: automatic calf feeders, computerized boil feeding system, Electronic pasture meters, Variable rate irrigation, and Soil pasture
- Methods: continuous grazing systems, Rotational grazing system, and Ultra-high stock density and mob grazing
- Continuous grazing system: the pasture is not divided into sub pastures or paddocks
- Rotational grazing system: dividing the pasture into sub pastures typically called paddocks
- Ultra-high stock density and mob grazing
- Milk processor: Sesa Dairy farm limited, Pearl Dairy farm limited, Amos Dairies Uganda limited, Paramount Dairies limited, Partnership with animal Heath
- Community: Kampala, Biharwe, Kashari, Mbarara district, Akageti, Kiruhara, Kokaba, Mbarara
Das Voting endet am 24. Juni 2018, 23:59 Uhr.